Extensive user research, including in-depth one-on-one employee interviews, workplace observation and focus groups, guided decisions to ensure a positive user experience.
A subsequent intranet strategy and 3-year roadmap was developed. This helped to break the project down into manageable pieces that made engaging with project stakeholders, including the Executive Committee for approvals, easier.
A governance framework was developed. Guiding principles, accountabilities and responsibilities were outlined, workshopped and documented, and a sustainable authoring and publishing model was established.
Working with stakeholders again, the UX and navigation was developed using card sorting, tree testing, and iterative, user-centred design. The result was a fully tested Information architecture along with wireframes for all major landing pages.
Greater Bank’s graphic designer, armed with our internal style and brand guidelines, worked collaboratively with the vendor to create multiple design iterations to guide the final design.
Evi has become a portal where employees go to Engage, View and Inform (Evi). It features interactive social functionality, a more engaging home page for news content, sophisticated search functionality and a navigation architecture that supports the way employees work.
- Launched during the pandemic, our new intranet became the go-to channel for the organisation to stay up to date with the crisis. This meant much of the initial experience and impact for the business was in the context of the COVID-19 crisis. For example, our COVID-19 communication strategy and approach identified a portal on our intranet as the key channel for employee communication and twice daily updates containing all the latest information employees needed to know were posted to the intranet. Employees became accustomed to checking the COVID-19 intranet portal at 10am and 3pm every day. The platform itself enabled the portal to be configured in a way that was appealing and simple to navigate the significant volume of information housed there, ranging from Employee Toolkits through to the latest travel advice and considerations when serving customers. All employees who work at the head office or CX Hub were also required to watch the instructional video, read Covid guidelines and acknowledge they understand the new requirements by clicking the acknowledge button. Managers are then notified of their employees who have yet to complete the acknowledgements.
- We made use of all the new features on Evi to keep our employees engaged and informed. This was particularly pertinent to frontline employees in the branches who were interacting with the public. With the workforce split between working from home, from the office, and in 59 branches across the state of NSW and southern Queensland, the messages needed to be targeted. Resources were developed to help employees with mental health tips, video messages, checklists, and visitor questionnaires. These included a toolkit for managers, samples of customer communications, branch posters and flyers. And to help track employees’ whereabouts — for COVID safety reasons — we developed a ‘Workplace Location Register’ displayed on the homepage that enabled employees to record where they were working.
- We focused on decluttering the interface, particularly for our frontline employees who need to access information while serving a customer. Content which isn’t of use is ‘hidden’ from view and search results (using permissions). News items and stories are targeted to frontline or office employees. The main social feed on the homepage is an amalgamation of private and public social groups an employee is a member of. Employees can also save a page to their favourites link and click on quicklinks to popular apps.
- All of the information that frontline employees need to do their job has been categorised and ordered under a dedicated section, accessible from the main navigation, titled ‘Branches and Serving Customers’.
Dynamic News Centre
- Evi’s home page and central News Centre page is very dynamic, with content constantly changing. Every day new content appears on the homepage. The carousel style banners rotate with the important stories, while the news feed is added to daily, and various promotional tiles are rotated to highlight content from different business units. For pressing matters and important matters, we can activate the Alert Bar – which occupies a prominent position above the carousel.
- We have a Calendar on our News Centre page that has information about events of interest to employees. These events are posted by relevant teams across the organisation, including Greater Charitable Foundation and Volunteering and Community Engagement.
- The search function makes use of taxonomies and metadata and includes federated search integration so that content produced and distributed by our eDM platform can also be searched and included in the main search results. When we need to place emphasis on specific content, we can create a ‘best bets’ to ensure that content is displayed at the top of the search results.
People Search Function
- A corporate directory makes it easy to find any employee’s contact information. You can search and browse by business area, group, location or job title. The group information combines Payroll and Active Directory (AD) information. These groups are used for targeting content, the ‘Managers’ group, for example, is automatically built from Payroll system and maintained with AD synchronisation to the intranet.
Analytics & Reporting
- We combine Google Analytics with the platform’s reporting tools to create bespoke reports each month on a dedicated portal which the Internal Communications & Engagement team use to evaluate communication activities and which they can share with stakeholders. This information is used to analyse communication activities, to learn from, and to make any adjustments to any content, if need be. We also analyse search patterns to identify any potential areas of improvement. And when we see a pattern of misspelling, for instance, we will add it to the thesaurus, so the desired results are displayed instead.